Thursday, October 19, 2006

I'm Back

Mmmmm, I just had some mad good Cantonese for dinner.



Hello! Sorry for the lack of updates as of late. I want to say that I’ve been too busy to post, but that would be only half true (the other times I’m just too lazy). I think I’ll ditch the weekly blog and just write whenever something interesting pops into my head (which hopefully means I’ll be posting more frequently?)

So the past few weeks... I finally settled on plans for the October holiday and actually got around without any major transportation difficulties. I visited a few sites in Shanxi Provincefor a few days with friends and friends of friends from PKU. For a more detailed (and far more eloquent) account of our trip, check out Shelley's blog linked on the left (I'm not going to tell you which it is). The cities we visited – Datong and Taiyuan – were incredibly dusty and chaotic - the dust largely attributable the coal mines in the area while a total disregard for traffic laws created the chaotic atmostphere. I thought the main tourist sights we visited were pretty interestersting but nothing too remarkable. I really enjoyed exploring a broken down section of the great wall. There was nobody there but us and a group of curious kids. Here are some pics:

Rachael in the Yungang Buddhist Grottoes - one of China's UNESCO World Heritage Sights and home to thousands upon thousands of Buddha sculptures (I wonder if anyone has tried to count them all)


The six of us in front of the Hanging Monastery near Hengshan, one of the 5 holy Buddhist mountains.



Shelley admiring the sunset from the Great Wall ruins.

No comments: